Sunday, June 17, 2018

Just Another Day

I vote that we skip Father's Day.

I miss Dad.

This morning I played the piano for the church service in Big Valley - I had first gone to this church with Dad ...

I drove up to Edmonton and got to spend some prime time with Dad's youngest grandson, Levi, the one he never got to meet ...

Siblings exchanged photos and memories.




It's not the same.

And the sadness is not confined to just me: there are those men who are suffering from not being able to speak to either their father or their children. A pain sandwich on the day everyone traditionally goes out for lunch or dinner!

I got a beautiful letter from my friend Ilona this morning. She misses her darling Phil.

A dearly beloved family member lost his dad when he was about six.

Another friend sent a note this week: her dad's cancer has returned.

It's just a tough day all around.

But back at the ranch, a father's day gift:


The babies from last year came to check things out and to nicker their own father's day message to the man who loves them and plays with them every day. 

And there are all the dads and kids who got to spend time together today in the bright outdoors, prodigal sunshine spilling into cracks on the sidewalk and spattering Pollock-like on the greys of barn board and drab concrete, transforming them into fleeting works of art.

I'm reminded once more of the little Bible verse where God promises to be a father to the fatherless. I'm reminded of the story of the prodigal son.

I'm reminded of the awful time period where a son hung on a cross and his father could not look at him - the evil of the situation was too severe.

I'm indeed grateful to have been raised by one of the great ones. 

If it takes a dreary day to remind me of my myriad blessings, so be it!

Happy Father's Day ...

9 comments:

Watilem Jamir said...

We still remember sir in our prayer.

Tialiba Longkumer said...

GREATEST teacher and a father on my way to Bible college.25 years ago.. Love you

Nang Lyan Kap said...

Inspiring!!!!!

Stephen Chinzathang Tungnung said...

My life Guru in Christ

Rachel Shah said...

Miss talking to him and that beautiful smile!

Mary Di Pilla Olinyk said...

So beautiful - I often bump into people that have at some point lived in three hills or are from three hills and they all know you (tea house) and they all knew your dad ... both of you have left such a mark on so many.

Joanne McMurray said...

Karyn, you are such a gifted writer and I enjoy reading your posts so much. I’m sorry this has become such a painful day for so many. I miss the daddy of my children as well.....and also my own Godly father, who has been gone 10 years now. Heaven will be wonderful!

Karyn said...

I of course only met your dad toward the end of his life; but what a gracious, gentle man he was! I have happy memories of the two of you having dessert at the tea house and just enjoying each other's company. Thank you for your comment.

Govinda Nair said...

Thank Gideon for Such a man of God