Thursday, April 25, 2024

The World's Most Beautiful Coffee Table



Tragedy struck our tiny communities when Jamie Harden passed away suddenly on February 4 while on a trip to Arizona.

The community rallied, as our community always does. Jamie's friends started an online auction to benefit the family she left behind.

I was so fortunate to be the successful bidder of a coffee table, to be built at the Byemoor School by its CTF woodworking class under the guidance of Mrs Buchwitz.

I love the Byemoor School. It's tiny, yet mighty in the ways that count: persevering, loyal, caring, fun, athletic, community minded, passionate about rural living, artistic, creative, disciplined, courageous, resourceful. Always willing to pitch in. Oh, and with ENORMOUS heart.

Somewhere in there they manage to fit in reading, writing and arithmetic too ...

So when I saw that this bunch was going to create a coffee table in honour of the Hardens, I knew that I wanted it. It would be a belated gift for the Good Rancher's birthday.

Fast forward to a couple of days after the GR's birthday. I got a message from Mrs Buchwitz that there was to be a personal delivery on Thursday afternoon. Due to my having to be in Brooks, I wasn't able to be present; but the GR said he would be there to receive the delivery.

The transport pictures are what Mrs Buchwitz thoughtfully took; the videos are what Kurt recorded; and the table pictures at the end were taken by me.

Carefully bringing in
the coffee table

Happy birthday, and 
Mrs Buchwitz presents
the booklet about the table



The coffee table has been 
placed in its new home;
the GR offers Timbits and thanks!

Introducing the talented artisans

Here is the story of the table:


I pondered all the things that came together to create this masterpiece from such humble beginnings:

• The wood is taken from pallets

• The nails used are old

• The builders were rookies

BUT ...

• The grain of the wood was carefully chosen and meticulously placed - look at the first picture to see what I mean

• The nails were selected specifically to bring character and history to the piece

• The builders were eager to learn, diligent, cooperative and professional

• The stain choice was thoughtfully considered with the goal of bringing out the hidden depth and beauty of the wood

And they had a Secret Weapon: 

MRS BUCHWITZ!

This picture, taken by Principal Jewitt, gives us a glimpse of what Bobbi Buchwitz means to this school:


I will confess that I cried when I read the booklet about the table - it means almost as much to me as the table itself. Every picture contains love. Mrs Buchwitz was right again!

Some afternoons when the guys have headed back to work after lunch, I linger in the man cave. 



The sunlight shimmers golden all over this little table, and it fills my heart with gratitude that out of something so tragic has come something so beautiful.

And I am reminded of what Jamie's friend Paige put on her Facebook page in the hours following the news:

Good advice for all of us.

"Love never fails."

This exquisite table is evidence of it.


No comments: