Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Writing in the Dark of the Year

 I have signed up for a course, encouraged by my friend Susanne, who persuaded our friend Sharalynn and me to join her.

"Writing in the Dark of the Year" started on Tuesday night when indeed Winter, flying in the teeth of El Nino, showed us who's boss in Alberta.

I locked myself into my room, away from dogs, away from cats, away from the pandemonium and drudgery of life at -40° on a cow-calf operation.

Our leader, Kelsey, got the nine of us to introduce ourselves; then she asked us to write a list of things we cannot do.

THEN she asked us to pick one off the list and address it. It could be a how-to; it could be humourous; it could be whatever we wanted. 

We had ten minutes.

I reviewed my list and found it somewhat melancholic and a little bit waspish. So I went with the first one: "I can't reach high shelves or the floor of the passenger side of the truck."

And this is what I wrote:

Stretch.

S-T-R-E-T-C-H!

Waggle the tips
of your fingers as if
they are periscopes to the
submarine mass of your body

One more inch. That's all
you need, ONE
MORE KNUCKLE appended
to your index finger.

Still no?
Step back, then several steps back, and look up:
It's there, the object of your desire,
there in tantalizingly plain view
on the third shelf of the cupboard.

Align yourself again, and this time
Stand on tippy toes, your left hand
on the second shelf for balance
as your right hand flaps vaguely 
in the area you remember
the object to be.

It's an existence of inches:
Shortest in my family.
Short arms short legs short trunk
short temper short memory -
62 1/2" cohabiting with 75" rancher
who is never on call
except for supper.

It's me and the dogs and the cats, all
people shorter than I.

Still no?
I sure could do with a drink
but I just can't reach
that glass ...


(📷  by the GR)

Two hours more till this evening's class!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do well know about this type of existence ! I’m 5’ tall? I use to be 5’2”, but as you get older you shrink, hey! It’s true! I’m fixing too turn 80 on the 26th, and I can truthfully say that being short is not easy!
Karyn I love what you wrote because I understand you girl! 💕💕💕

Matthew S. Ironside said...

S-T-R-E-T-C-H!

Becky Henderson King said...

That’s fantastic Karyn! Although I’m not sure you need it

Karyn said...

Becky, thanks for the vote of confidence!

Mim D. Smith said...

Brilliant, an activity that you will enjoy whilst allowing you time to shut off from being ranch-hand, homemaker, cook and all the other numerous tasks you cram into a typical week.
You are already a master of the pen with a wonderful gift of writing, transporting the reader to the places and events you write about.
I look forward to reading more of your work...
Remember, great things come in small packages. And you can at least feel you are also doing an aerobics workout every time you have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H

Karyn said...

Mim, can that be my fitness challenge for this year?!

Sharon Stek said...

Excellent writing in my opinion. Yes us short people understand. I have several size step ladders in several rooms around the house.

Karyn said...

Sharon, that was my problem! I have a great Ikea step stool, given me by my friend Jayne Wurtz who liked all things red! But it was over at the trailer, and I was NOT venturing out in the weather just so I could get down a special glass!🤣