Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Writing in the Dark of the Year: How People Drink Their Tea or Coffee

 The assignment was simple: "What does the way a person drinks their tea or coffee mean about them?" We had 15 minutes.

My mind immediately went back to Solly and Erna, two of my favourite people to drink tea and coffee in the little tea house in Three Hills. I don't know if it answered the question of the evening, but I knew I wanted to spend a moment or two with them again. This is what I wrote:

"Welcome to Nilgiris Tea House. Here's a table for eight, if we just pull these two together ... May I take your order?"

SOLLY: "Coffee. Black."

ERNA: "I think I'll have a pot of tea. Now, do I want black tea or ... no ... it might keep me up. What about that Winter Palace Marzipan tea? It reminds me of the sugared almonds my daddy used to give us -"

SOLLY: "Erna! Just order! Everyone is waiting!"

The order is taken: five coffees and three teas. Four cinnamon rolls and three scones. Erna won't have anything, she has to watch her sugar.

Three minutes after all at the table are served:

THUMP.   THUMP.   THUMP.

THUMP.   THUMP.   THUMP.

ERNA: "Oh Solly, STOP! She's busy. She'll bring the coffee pot over as soon as she can -"

SOLLY: "I might die before she gets here."

ERNA: "Oh Solly, the doctor was just making a joke. Living in town is not going to kill you!

"Oh thank you, dear. It's his 88th birthday, and -"

SOLLY: "Erna! She doesn't have time for this! I just want to go back to the farm. Nothing wrong with me. I can still run my tractor. And out there I can pour my own coffee when I want to."

THUMP.   THUMP.   THUMP.

THUMP.   THUMP.   THUMP.

ERNA: "Oh Solly, stop!"

And then the news that he had died. Impatient in life, he was not impatient to leave it when the time came. At the reception following his funeral, Erna said that now she could come to the tea house and not be embarrassed.

"Welcome to Nilgiris Tea House. Here's a table for four. May I take your order?"

One coffee and three teas. Two orders of scones, to share.

Three minutes after all at the table are served:

THUMP.   THUMP.   THUMP.

THUMP.   THUMP.   THUMP.

She's sitting there with her empty coffee mug in front of her. Tears are getting caught in the creases of her face. She stares at the mug, stunned.

ERNA: "I can't believe I did that. I hated when he did that. Oh Solly -"




    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there with them…feeling what they felt…wanting to give an encouraging smile and hugs to both of them.
Thanks for sharing this. I always enjoy your writing.💕

Anonymous said...

My sisters name is Erna and she likes coffee. Great writing. Enjoyed.