Wednesday, June 14, 2023

A Cloud the Size of a Man's Hand

 It's past time to get to bed. 

Now I lay me down to sleep - I pray the Lord my soul to keep...

This evening I was watering the scant flowers I had bothered to plant in the Round-up Corral, some of them so scorched by another brutally hot day that as the spray from the watering can touched their petals they spat at me like water hitting a hot frying pan.

As I lugged watering can after watering can around this beautiful, desolate place, I couldn't stop thinking about Elijah. Elijah was the prophet of the Lord who took on the most evil of the kings of Israel to date, Ahab: the Old Testament book of 1 Kings chapter 16, verse 33 actually says, "... Ahab did more to provoke the Lord God of Israel to anger than all the Kings of Israel who were before him." In desperation for his nation to turn back to God, Elijah had declared that there would be no rain until he gave the word.

And now it had been three years.

All of that backstory to get to the part I was pondering, the part where God gave the word to Elijah that it was going to rain.

After some other pretty dramatic moments, recorded in chapter 18, Elijah sent his servant to study the sky and see if there was any cloud in it.

No. 

Check again. 

No. 

Check again. 

No. 

Again. 

No. 

On the seventh trip outside, the assistant reported that he saw a small cloud the size of a man's hand in the sky.

That was enough for Elijah! He sent his servant to tell the King to hasten home or he would be caught in the deluge that was about to hit.

And it was so. 


Dear Lord, tonight we have clouds in the sky over the Round-up Corral - angry, roiling clouds reluctant to release their contents, ready to punch anyone who dares challenge their authority.

Clouds bigger than a man's hand. 

The wind is throwing small objects up into the air in a blustering show of false bravado. 


The miniature pond in Jane's Nook has a waterfall that is clattering onto the rocks below, and the beautiful old stained glass window above it trembles slightly between its sturdy chain supports. The Good Rancher does his best to secure it. 

We have had 2/10ths of an inch so far this year. We have been hauling water for a month already. The livestock is hot and thirsty, looking for reprieve from this relentless heat. 


The forecast holds out hope for tomorrow; but it's been teasing us like a shiny object jerked repeatedly out of our grasp so many times in the past 30 days.

The GR waits and so I must go. 

If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord that He will make the clouds to shed a tear ...

Amen.



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!!!!πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ™ŒπŸ»

Karyn said...

Amen 🩡

Mim D Smith said...

Sending my love and prayers to you Karyn, I know just how much extra work hauling the precious water creates for you all.

Angie Ironside said...

Yes, have mercy, O God!!πŸ™πŸ’™

Doreen Nixon said...

Praying for some very much needed rain πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ

Joanne Dau Duncan said...

πŸ™πŸ’“

Deanna Johnson said...

πŸ™Here as wellπŸ™

Wanda Wilkie said...

πŸ™πŸ»

Tammie Cage-Parker said...

We have been fasting for rain,
Please let all are rancher’s prayers be answered πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
The wind is coming from the south and I see rain drops on the deck🀞hope it comes your way toπŸ’•

Peggy n Dave Lanigan said...

Praying that the Lord will shower you and the GR with an abundance of rain. πŸ’¦πŸ™πŸ™

Sharon Stek said...

Thank you Lord - we have been getting a nice constant rain in south Calgary since about 7 am and the forecast is for it to continue all day.

Karyn said...

Becky, possibly because I post about once or twice a year! I am trying to get better at it... I used to post on the teahouse one so much more frequently. But this one is like the rain situation out here: dribs and drabs. πŸ™„

Edith James said...

πŸ™

Shirley Gillrie said...

It’s raining profusely in Olds today. I trust it’s gotten to the 855? πŸ’•

Velma Gilbert said...

πŸ™

Bronwyn said...

The clouds in Israel sobbed as you went to sleep.