Monday, February 22, 2021

Filling a Cavity

Had it seriously been five years?!

As I walked through the doors of my dentist's office, it hit me that the last time I was here I had brought my Dad in for some dental work. 

I think that my Dad actually didn't mind having not great teeth, because it gave him the opportunity to see one of the people his heart loved: Brian. 

Brian was drawn into Dad's tribe when he was around 16 or 17 and, once ensconced in his heart, Dad didn't let him go.

I checked in with Jen at the front desk - she has had a child since I last saw her; imagine! 

Then I sat in the waiting room and drew in a deep breath. 

On some days I feel the void his absence has left more than on others. I didn't know that this day would be one of those days. 

Before I could become completely maudlin, Jo came to take me back to the room. Jo has worked with Brian for over 20 years, and she forgave me for not remembering. She did x-rays and got me ready for Dr Brian to fix my broken tooth. 

"Did I mention to you that you're one of my oldest friends?" he began. 

"As long as you don't say I'm one of your eldest friends," I replied, and everything was as it always was.

My broken tooth contained an old silver-type filling that had to be drilled out and replaced, and then Brian built back the broken tooth so smoothly that I can't differentiate between the original and the artificial. 

While this was going on, Jo and Brian chatted over my head, their familiar voices almost like, well, family. 

Then as he was preparing to head to his next patient, he paused and — almost like it was out of thin air — he said, "Sometimes your Dad would say to me, 'You are precious to me'..." 

He looked at me. "You are precious to me," he said softly. 

A few minutes later he came up to the reception desk where I had bumped into my sister, who had booked an appointment six months ago for this very time! “You are precious to me," he said to her. 

"You were very precious to him," I replied. 

What a benediction, a bene dictum, for two daughters who had both been wanting a word from their Dad that day! 

Words ... they have so much power. They have the power of life and of death. A friend of mine who knows me gave me a splendid book not long ago, Peter H. Reynolds' The Word Collector. This book is the book I wish I had written. It is simple yet profound. I have it on my piano to remind me to use words wisely and well. There is a proverb in the Bible which says, "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." A more modern translation reads, "The right word spoken at the right time is as beautiful as gold apples in a silver bowl" (Proverbs 25:11, KJV and NCV).

That is what Brian's words were to us last Thursday. 

Today, February 22, would have been my Mum's 84th birthday. She loved words, as did Dad. So in honour of her I have something to give away: a box set of three of Peter H. Reynolds' books. It contains Say Something, Happy Dreamer, and, of course, The Word Collector. 


To have a chance at winning this collection, all you have to do is write a comment - either at the end of this blog post, or on Facebook or Instagram, telling about someone whose words changed your life / outlook / day for the better. The Good Rancher himself is going to be the judge! I will read him the comments, minus the author's name, and he will choose the winner. 

Happy birthday, Mum. 

We love you, Dad. 

And from all six of Dad's children I say, You are precious to us, Brian. 


30 comments:

Brenda Lee Raine Hartley said...

Thanks Karyn! Your posts are always very special! Words can bring life or great harm. Let us ask God to teach us to use our words to bring encouragement and love to those we meet, to lift up and strengthen and bring a smile that warms them up on the inside! Thanks for your words! ❤️

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

You are the prize! Your words are like honey and more precious than gold. Thank you for writing your life, your friendships, your heart. You speak to us and open our hearts, to read every day in a new way, as precious. Blessings and gratitude.

Angie Ironside said...

Yes, we do love our Brian and Viv!!❤️❤️
Words are so important when speaking to our kids. Our words become the reel in their minds for life. I love when the words spoken to them come out to others.
Example: The other day Luke was putting on his boots and heading out to work. Wyatt says to him, ‘Love you, Dad.” And then....”Miss you, Dad.” And then, “Proud of you, Dad.” Of course, Luke was ready to melt in a puddle.❤️❤️

JE Davis said...

precious words

Joyce Lloyd said...

Beautiful share, thank you. God shows up sometimes in unexpected ways or places.

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

��Who can write any words after reading that? Do wordless tears count? You are precious to me, Karyn, and to all of us who read your very precious words. Thank you for writing this. And thank you, Dr. Brian, for keeping Karyn’s mouth in good shape so she can keep speaking her powerful, beautiful words. You too are precious. As for the Good Rancher? Precious beyond words!

Joyce Lloyd said...

Beautiful share, thank you. God shows up sometimes in unexpected ways or places. And he sends blessings from people we haven’t seen in a while. Brian’s words were truly a blessing too you and your sister yesterday and just think, it was on your mother’s birthday.

Deanna Odland said...

Such a touching blog Karyn, and anyone who knew your Dad and mom couldn’t help but be touched by your blog today. You spin words to create heart-felt emotion and magic. I always enjoy reading them, and feel like it gives me a glimpse into your world. Thanks for sharing your (& the ‘Good Rancher’s) world with us all. ❤️

Dina Clark said...

Love the dentist. You started my day by making me cry

Myrna Jensen said...

Your words always touch my heart, thank you! ❤️

Deanna Johnson said...

Karyn just visiting with you or reading your blogs give me a uplift to my day. I didn't know your parents but I'm sure they were special they raised such a loving family❤

Karyn said...

Thank you all for your kind and loving comments. I treasure them all. The competition, however, is you telling a little story of how someone ELSE`S words touched you!! A couple of your comments do fall into that category... ❤️❤️❤️

Deanna Odland said...

Karyn - this touched my heart - and so true!
Alex, four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there. When his mom asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, 'Nothing, I just helped him cry.'

Peggy Sauter said...

Not entering the competition but often a song can take you back to a time and place as well

Mim Dartnall-Smith said...

I remember many years ago when I was a frightened, tearful teenage girl starting at boarding school.
A beautiful young girl came up and comforted me, she asked if I was okay and offered to look after me. The kindness of her initial words was so precious the friendship remains some 40+ years later..I remain eternally grateful to her for taking the time to speak words of comfort. ❤️

Shirley Gillrie said...

And back to Dads - when he was in the hospital during his final months, Dad said to me, out of the blue, "I love you". This was something I had never heard from his lips before, although I had never had any doubt of his love for me. And I realized that he was beginning to say goodbye. His other precious words to me were his repeated blessing whenever I saw him. "The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace." Thank you Dad. I love you too.

Sharon Bethune Ralph said...

And how I love a good contest! So here is my story ... when I was in my late teens, I worked for a couple of firm, no nonsense, very dignified lawyers. My boss was formal and the culture and atmosphere was only "business " but kind. I was shy, very insecure, and nervous, like many 17 year olds. One day my boss checked a document I had prepared ... and was silent. Then he looked at me after obviously finding a mistake, and quietly said "Miss Bethune, this is not up to your usual excellent standards. " I was praised, encouraged, and gently corrected in that one kind sentence

Shirley Yeo said...

I was working in church at Moms' time out when a cute little girl barely 2 years old said in her beautiful baby voice."Gamma, I wuv you." It really touched my heart and I'll always remember that as I see her grow into a lovely school girl.

JE Davis said...

Words are so powerful. I remember at my Dad’s service when I was feeling so sad and Mr. Ironside said would you trade all your memories and good times with your Dad for this grief to go away? It really made sense and helped me to see that love has a price tag and that is grief and it is still worth it to love ❤️ someone. .. costly but worth it

Jayanti Banerjee said...

22 February is my father’s birthday. From today forward I will also remember your Mum on this day. ❤️

Janet Campbell said...

My Mom and my Aunt, sisters can be so very different. My Mom being a farm girl, very much a lady but lived a much simpler life. My Aunt is a town girl, very much social and physical appearance being very important. I lived with my Aunt and Uncle, boarding with them for my high school, long before bussing! Oh Jan, can't you do something with your hair, Oh Jan, that's not how I set the table, Oh Jan..... Anyhow, my Aunt isn't doing so well these days. She just turned 95 in the hospital where she's been for a few months, and to have all the Covid restrictions, I'm sure have added to the toll :( So, within the last year has told me she likes my hair and last week said I have beautiful eyebrows lol. I love her and I'm going to miss her when she's gone!

Karyn said...

I agree. You are my sunshine... Jesus loves me... Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, esp the third movement...

Karyn said...

Jayanti, thank you for this. xo

Janet Campbell said...

Not entering the competion just a share :)

Karyn said...

Oh Jan, how I adore you... What a courageous share.

It would have taken courage, too, to have taken the high road and submitted to the "efforts at improvement" in order to attain your education. And through the years you have grown to love and appreciate your Aunt. This doesn't surprise me about you. How she must love you too!

You have beautiful eyebrows, beautiful tattoos, beautiful hair, a beautiful laugh. But most of all, you have a beautiful heart.

Janet Campbell said...

Oh Karyn :) , I love you ❤️

Edna Kary said...

Five words. Said several years ago. It is like it was yesterday. One of my sisters lived in Fort Saskatchewan and for the last years of her life I had camped there, usually for two weeks, spending most of each day with her.
We played games, we joined in whatever activities were happening at the seniors home where she lived. When she was bound to a wheelchair, we traveled together all over the Fort. Somehow we always seemed to end up across town at Tim Hortons, her favorite stop.
At her funeral was when it happened. One of the workers at the home where she lived came up to me and said five words. -- "She loved you so much.". Nothing more. Just those five words.
It was balm to my sadness.

D said...

Dearest Karyn:
I just finished your blog about your trip to the dentist. It wrecked me for the rest of the day. My eyes red and raw. I pondered on your life with your Dad and Mom, your life apart from them, your times together. How God helped you recognize what a treasure you had with them. To have parents who helped you grow in the knowledge of him...what a blessing, but also so hard to let go of. To see how God sees your loss and fills it in
such gentle ways.
My earthly experience with parents was just a tad different! But it warms my soul when I see how He loves us all differently, but so tenderly. Thank you for your writings, I hope they bless you as much as they bless all those who reflect on every story you share. I love you!

Doreen Nixon said...

Quite a few years a very wise lady said to me “ it’s not what my community can do for me it’s what I can do for my community”. These are words I have lived by & if I can help in anyway to make my community or the people in my community have a better day or life that’s my goal in my life.

Diana Cleland said...

When I worked in Palliative care as a nurse in Ottawa, a dying patient smiled at me & whispered " Hope begins when you stand in the dark looking out at the light". Those words have come to me over & over again.