Friday, August 28, 2020

Pulling the Bulls

Some days I sense that he misses her more than he knows what to do with. 

On yesterday's overcast morning he had to rely on me and the side-by-side to be his sidekick; two days ago he went to pull a bull and he was injured slightly. It is so much better for everyone —bulls, horses and humans — if there is no mechanical noise in the delicate process of extricating the Boys of Summer from their playgrounds. But yesterday there was no one else to help.

"Why don't you drive on up the fence line, and I'll meet you at the next gate?" he suggested gently. I remembered how he said one of his greatest joys was to ride, side by side, in silence for the most part, breathing the air heavy with the scents of wild sage and silver willow and hearing the sounds of creation in perfect synch with the clop-clop rhythm of the horses' hooves. As I turned to go, I noticed his shoulders more stooped than normal, perhaps carrying another unseen to the human eye.




He had told me that once, toward the end, when she was so sick she had to be admitted to the hospital, he had taken a great branch of silver willow to her because it was her favourite. The hospital staff threw him and it out; there was no room for that "smelly weed" in their antiseptic environment.



There was the gate; I turned off the engine, waiting for him to appear.

And slowly he did, faithful Chopper intuiting his thoughts. He saw me and paused, opening the gate, glancing toward the next stage. "Follow this fence. We are looking for two Herefords, and a red and a yellow." 


I putted along in the direction he had indicated. Cresting a hill, I saw shimmering waters in a vista that took my breath. 

"Isn't it beautiful?" he called out, and I saw him passing me lower down the hill.


I drove closer to him. "This was one of our favourite views," he said, almost to himself. 

I wondered what it was like for the two of them to come across this exquisite place for the first time, to work together morning 'til night until it was theirs, to ride out here together for no reason but to enjoy the view and the breeze and the scents.

She was only 48.


As I pursued the fence line, I came across a truly pretty pink-streaked rock; I tried to hoist it from the ground but it was embedded too deeply and I had no tools to assist me. I placed a blue bucket over it in hopes of finding and retrieving it later.


The next gate opened into a field of cows and calves, and five somewhat stubborn bulls. Back and forth we went, horse and side-by-side forming a hobbled alliance as we slowly separated the bulls from the cows. 



We got the former heading in one unified direction, and as we started up a hill, the sun suddenly blazed with renewed warmth and energy. 


Finally, finally, after a few hiccups in communication between rider and driver, and a couple of outbreaks of bulls being, well, bullish, we came within sight of the corral. 



The Good Rancher and Chopper were hot, tired, dusty and thirsty. He led his friend into the barn and unsaddled, brushed her down, gave her grain and released her to drink water from the always fresh livestock waterer. Only then did he walk slowly to the house. Animals first. 

I handed him a cool drink. 

"I'm sorry I'm so difficult some days," he said slowly. 

"I'm sorry I can't ride," I replied. 

We looked warily, wearily, at each other for a few moments. 

"Let's go get your rock," he said. 


Today was a new day. Their old pal Bud was riding with him. 






These two friends have helped with each other's cattle for a couple of decades. They are often each other's first call. Their wives, both exceptional horsewomen, were also friends.

The day was one of big skies, big fields, big horses, big bulls, big hearts. 



It wasn't the same as it would have been with him and her, but it was sure something.

And sometimes something is enough.





35 comments:

Dana Shepherd said...

I always love reading your blogs. Always seem to bring a tear to my eye wishing she was still here to enjoy these milestones that have been happening.

Brenda Lee Raine Hartley said...

That’s beautiful Karyn! ❤️

Dee Green said...

Love your Blogs, this one brought a tear to my eye.

Judy Titus said...

You have a great way of wording that keeps me interested in what your writing. Love ❤️ seeing what you've been up too .

Doreen Nixon said...

Love love love this Thanx for sharing You have such a way with words.

Edith Anderson said...

You certainly do have a way with words.Just great! I do enjoy reading the words you write.

Dina Clark said...

Wow this brought tears to my eyes

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

You can’t ride, but you certainly can see! And you have an almost incomprehensible power to understand, to discern, to help, and most of all, to love.

Corrine Tateson said...

Love ❤️ your insight !!!! Much bull pulling went on around this Ranchero this past week too .........

Deanna Johnson said...

Your blog got me to tears. Of course he misses her but I'm sure he feels lucky he has you in his life my dear friend

Maureen Mappin-Smith said...

Deanna Johnson agreed! Everyone brings their own skills and talents to the table...❤️ love all you do Karyn Ironside!

Deborah Sharp Wenman said...

Somehow, I think of your grandparents, and I believe they would be so proud of you. I can see them in my mind right now.

Maureen Wasdal said...

Bronwyn...I couldn't love what you said any more! Love you Karyn, you are some kind of special and don't ever forget it.

Deborah Ironside said...

This. I love you.

Karyn said...

Deborah, it is such a comfort to me that you knew them...

Deborah Sharp Wenman said...

Karyn Ironside aw, that's special....let me share a memory, we had a potluck at their house, and someone took a main course jello salad. Your grandpa said that jellos were for dessert.

Karyn said...

Judy Titus, thank you! I remember the wonderful evening you and Perry were part of the story at the Round-up Corral... ❤️❤️

Judy Titus said...

And for that I will forever be thankful.

Karyn said...

Brenda, thank you.

Karyn said...

Thank you, Dee!

Karyn said...

Doreen, thank you so much.

Karyn said...

Edith Anderson you have a special place in the hearts of both the GR and me, as you know! ❤️❤️

Karyn said...

Thank you, Dina.

Karyn said...

Bronwyn, thank you. And *you* ever have the power to understand and encourage and uplift me.

Karyn said...

Corrine Tateson, our men! ❤️❤️ Hope you had a safe and good time at it!

Corrine Tateson said...

We did so .....

Karyn said...

Ahhh, Deanna, you are one who now knows with great clarity his loss. Thank you for your kindness and generosity of spirit extended to me as well. ❤️

Rhonda Stearns Hutton said...

Love this Karyn! You amaze me❤️

Karyn said...

Rhonda, thank you... Most days I feel very inadequate....!

Doreen Nixon said...

Karyn please try to never feel that way. Everyone is unique , special & gifted in their own special way & I don’t see many earth angels as special to as many of us as you have been. You’ve been a blessing to our community. ��������

Dee Green said...

Karyn Ironside you have BEEN MORE than ADEQUATE helping our COMMUNITY get through COVID!! Don’t you ever forget that YOU are ESSENTIAL & LOVED ❤️

Rhonda Stearns Hutton said...

Karyn you are far from inadequate, you are out there helping, showing interest, and are so kind and patient with your animals! That’s all that matters.... plus you are doing all of this in addition to blessing our community with the wonderful things you do.

Karyn said...

Thank you, ladies! You overwhelm me with your kindness and acceptance. I hope you know I wasn't "fishing", as my Mum used to say! Our little community has welcomed me so compassionately - the days I felt so overwhelmed and alone, the days I felt so exhausted that even pulling a brush through my hair felt like too much effort, the days when anxiety would park my car along the side of a road somewhere while I struggled to still my racing heart - all those days, God sent one lady or another to reach out to me and, often without her knowing it, to offer me exactly what brought me back from the brink of despair. I have never lived in a community like this one (not to mention lived in Doreen's childhood home!). People who genuinely and thoroughly care for one another, people who seek to uplift and support each other. Look, just for example, at these responses here. This community has been God's hands and feet and voice for me over and over. How can I help but give back, in whatever small way I can, to show my profound gratitude?! ❤️❤️❤️

Mim Dartnall-Smith said...

My dearest friend never under estimate or doubt the skills that you have.
You and the GR are a team and any one observing you soon sees what a vital part you are. Sure, you do much of it from behind a wheel, be it the side by side or the truck but how you get across the land is irrelevant... the important thing is you do it. The maxim of 'the animals come first' is one that applies not just to the GR but to you as well...I've seen the times you've stopped your task in hand because an animal needs attending to and you've done so with the same love and compassion as the Good Rancher himself.
Hold your head up with pride Karyn and know that you have more than served your apprenticeship... the city girl is a good, no GREAT rancher's wife
xx

Karyn said...

Mim, thank you so much. Three of my all-time notable weeks out here were the three we were blessed with visits from you and our Mark. It was beyond belief to renew our friendship after 40 years; and in Mark, the GR discovered a friend and a brother. Thank you for gifting us with your two holidays. We will NEVER forget those memorable times.