Tuesday, January 01, 2019

New Year's Eve, 2018 Edition


There's no denying it's been a very tough year. Winter seemed to carry on almost till the end of May; baby calves struggled in the plunging temperatures and vicious winds, and the orphans fared terribly despite the best meds and food and love they could receive.

Summer was far too short; and with not much rain came the anticipation of scarce feed and the resultant high prices of what was available. Of course, right then, the cattle prices dipped too …

On the house front, I had resolved to get rid of 40% of my personal "stuff" that I dragged with me when I moved out here, and that didn't happen.

Relationships seemed like so much work too. What used to come easy was now often a struggle. The nature of friendships changed in certain instances. I missed my family.

I couldn't even get into a proper rhythm with music or with reading. My personal quiet time with God fluctuated - I never once doubted that He was there for me; it was I who was unsettled and insecure and withdrawn.

And over it all, the hazy, barely visible veil of sadness and anxiety floated, ready to settle into the creases and crevasses of my heart and soul at any time. The intensity had abated somewhat from last year; the days when it was a struggle even to get out of bed were slightly fewer. During some days when my doctor was on maternity leave, I could barely breathe. When she came back, it was the best day of the year!

She and her nurse - like God - never left me or forsook me, despite my unreasonableness and lack of progress. They never made me feel what I often am, hopelessly incompetent and not worth the time and effort. They never told me to suck it up and think how fortunate I am compared with 98% of the world (I know, I know!). Before the ubiquitous hashtags, my doctor was already on the front lines, fighting, mitigating, reassuring. She proffers hope and I must trust her enough to accept that it can be so.

I kept as busy as I could, trying to fill the gap my Dad's passing had left in my life, maybe. But I never seemed to catch up with what needed to be done.

There were, of course, amazing days, wonderful people in my community whom I finally started getting to know a little bit. Friends came to visit, even from great distances. Everyone was so kind.

And now here it was, the day before New Year's Eve. Driving home from church I wondered what promise I would receive this year. I specifically asked God to show me what to do to make it through the upcoming year.

As I rounded the correction corner on the 855, I was greeted by this:


I continued up the road to the venerable old Lund house, and it too was graced with promise:


I was reassured that whatever promise I received would give me the key.

New Year's Eve we drove to a nephew's place - passing the holiday baton from one generation to the next has been remarkably easy as one hosted Christmas, another hosted new year and yet another supplied the entertainment!

Just before midnight we dimmed the lights of the house and pressed our faces to the window to see the annual fireworks display put on by nephew #3. For some reason, this was the first time I was ever witness to this part of the evening. As the lights shot up into the sky and came dancing back down to us, my heart soared.

And then. Midnight was almost upon us and we gathered for the single most beloved annual tradition in our family. The promises originally chosen and typed by my Dad are now produced from his lists, on his word processor, by my sister, much to the relief and gratitude of the rest of us!

Allan read the passage to close out the old year from one of Dad's favourite daily reading collections; we sang a couple of songs; Allan prayed, asking God to help each of us be directed to the special word each of us needs for the coming year; and then a sister offered the carefully arranged plate to the people in the room.

I was one of the last to select. I chose green. Again.

As soon as I read my promise, it was like I could hear God saying these words to me: "This is the answer to your question. You've gone about it all wrong this last year. Seek Me first. Make Me your first call. Everything will work out as it should."



And I thought about the fireworks we had enjoyed just a few minutes earlier. They didn't explode into showers of light and colour immediately after they were lit; they had to shoot single-mindedly up into the air to start with before their magical beauty and incandescence were released.

For me to find the solutions to my problems, to find beauty amid ashes, I need to get single-mindedly to the source of my strength. I need to seek Him first, not seek solutions from people or ideas or things that are by their very nature finite, imperfect, also struggling.

This isn't going to be an easy verse to take hold of this year. But if I can be guided by it, it will be so worth it!

Happy new year. To all of us.


14 comments:

Angie Ironside said...

❤️

Sarah Rajkumar said...

Good promise... Applies to me as well.

Joanne Duncan said...

Thank you Karyn...always a blessing to me when I read your blog...Happy New Year ❤️

Mim Dartnall-Smith said...

What a beautiful sign to greet you Karyn, the sun, its aura shining so brilliantly before you. Reassuring and comforting as you eagerly looked forward to upholding your family tradition of reading the ribbon promises.
It’s so lovely that you have been given this verse as it really reminds me of you and the chorus that we used to regularly sing together as teenagers at Hebron “Seek ye first the kingdom of Heaven…”
Your beloved parents passed onto you the joy of sharing, not only the Promises, but they raised you to be the thoughtful, kind and loving person that you are. Someone whom like the fireworks lights up with a beauty that comes from within. You are truly a credit to your parents.
As for the de-cluttering of ‘your stuff’ don’t berate yourself for not tackling it, embrace it as memories both good and bad of the times in your life when these things mattered to you. They belonged to past times in your life that helped to form the lovely person you are today. You will sort through it all when you feel ready emotionally and physically.
So, as you face the new year, raise a glass to your parents who I’m sure are proudly looking down on their beloved daughter and continue to shine like the fireworks on New Year’s Eve.

Maureen Wasdal said...

♥️

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful reading to the start of the New Year. I will follow in your footsteps. (As usual!) “Seek, ask, knock” was a verse given to me on the same day.

The Sidekick said...

How amazing you got that parallel verse! We are still connected, Dahling ...!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing your blog... Your struggle is mine as well. You could have been writing about my shadowed, broken self...

Charmaine Block said...

This post is so brave and vulnerable and good ❤️ I am praying you have a much better year and this verse is a huge one in my life. He wants to be first in everything. For me, I wake up and grab my phone off my nightstand and mindlessly scroll through social media. He has put it on my heart that even in those first few moments of the morning He want to be FIRST. He wants my thoughts, my day , my worries and my hopes. And what better hands to leave it all in❤️

Unknown said...

I’ve where you are and not a sranger to those feelings. We are strong! We are resilient! This is a new year and a new page. What could be better??

Naomi Friesen said...

So beautiful, dear Karyn!

Barb Paetz said...

Such a good word Karyn. How amazing that reading this has pointed out to me how frequently this scripture has surfaced for me very recently also. And has proven to be the way out of that pit. Bless you. ♥️

Rachel Shah said...

Beautiful thoughts and reflection.. Happy New Year Karyn!

Anonymous said...

“Things take the time they take. Don’t— / worry. / How many roads did St. Augustine follow / before he became St. Augustine?” - Mary Oliver