Wednesday, March 21, 2018

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Many people I know associate this song with Christmas ... or with the clever Staples back-to-school commercials.

Me? 


I associate this festive song with calving. I can't wait to start humming it. Just like a kid with presents under the tree, I peer at the mums-to-be each time I pass them.

This year it was this morning. I got the phone call I had been waiting for since Valentine's Day.

"Mile Corner. Jory spotted her. He's sending you a picture ..."



And look who had shown up!

This is my sparkle and cheer time of year and is far more exciting to me than unwrapping presents. Each calf is a unique gift. And after a particularly long, difficult winter, what a beautiful way to start off the season! What should we name it?! The first baby of the year has to get named ...
and there could be a prize involved!

Here are some "Mum and Me" snaps from last year. 

There is nothing that whispers hope more sweetly.

And isn't that what the most wonderful time of the year is all about?









14 comments:

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

Truly Wonderful!

The Sidekick said...

Is that your name choice for our baby?!

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

Not really!

Judy Buchwitz said...

You already stated it, ‘Hope’
New life in spring time always is refreshing after the winter.

Mim Dartnall-Smith said...

Funnily enough I was thinking "Hope" then as I scrolled down my phone I realised you had written that very word Karyn xx

Maureen Wasdal said...

How sweet is that...and pretty cute calves in the rest of the pictures too. I hadn't realized you started calving this early...will have to be watching by the road as I go by! I agree with the comments above...Hope would be an awesome name. HaPPy CaLViNG !

The Sidekick said...

Oh -- we don't! April 10 is our official due date ...

Joyce Lloyd said...

Ohhhhh! Precious!

Dee Green said...

HaPpY Calving!!��

Norma Jean Minchau said...

I agree it is my favorite time of year too. Will never tire of watching one of my babies having a baby!!

Paige Jones said...

Clara. Because is was the character in Lonesome Dove that was the “woman rancher” & held down the homestead & took care of the injured & people passing through. She was tough as nails but warmed hearted too.

Shirley Gillrie said...

Going with the theme song ... Joyeux Noel!

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

Spring is a nice name too! Like living water!

Jean White said...

Another lovely story Karyn. Happy Spring.