Monday, July 10, 2017

The Boys Are Back In Town!

DISCLAIMER: This post contains scenes of nudity and sex. Parental discretion is advised. Except for my pal Riley. Even at age 9, my pal Riley is miles ahead of me in knowledge of how things work in all areas of ranch / farm life ...

CS 2017 Poster Lawlor 1 Retouch SF FLAT Bleed Oct17 FINAL_LOW RES
Shannon Lawlor -  she has ties and tales from the neck of the woods where these stories are being told!
http://www.calgarystampede.com/blog/2016/10/28/artist-shannon-lawlor-tells-us-the-story-behind-the-2017-calgary-stampede-poster/comment-page-1/
This poster is available for sale at Cattlemunns Ranching Gift Shop.

Well, it's that time of year again - the time that the big boys gather in the bright sunlight to size each other up, tell a ton of lies, and compete for the prize.

Yessir - the boys are back.

The pictures that follow are some of the handsome lads from this neck of the woods:



It appeared like these three magnificent men were
rehearsing for a Broadway production!








It might seem like these studs have the best job on a ranch. After all, for approximately 45 weeks out of the year they don't do much more than eat and laze in the sun with their buddies, an exclusive men's club that no woman has been beating on the doors trying to enter as far as I can see.
















Of course, just like the heroes of the annual Calgary Stampede, there are qualifying rounds. You can't just show up and be in the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth based on your good looks and charm alone.


That's where Dr Jeff Serfas of Forestburg Veterinary Clinic (1998) Ltd. comes in.

Intelligent, patient, astute, experienced, compassionate, and with his trademark swift smile, Dr Jeff is the Chute Boss Dave Shields Sr (check out the gentleman in the yellow shirt) of this particular rodeo. Just like Mr Shields at the Stampede, it is Dr Jeff who decrees who gets to ride and when ...























Noooooo ...


After witnessing the proceedings (Disclaimer: No animals were hurt in the taking of these pictures, or in the procedures each had to undergo - well, maybe an ego or two, but suck it up, Princess ...), all I can say is that I went away convinced that any chap who made it through the indignity of the qualifying round pretty much had earned the right to play the field ...

I was also filled with more than the usual gratitude for the best neighbours a person could hope for:




After a day or so to recover from the invasion of personal space, the big boys are let out to mingle with the ladies.

Yee-Haw!



 First comes the getting-to-know-you stage:





(For what it's worth, this little bull was my BABY! I saved him from certain death the day he was born! The pups and I spent the better part of one cold November night warming him up and comforting him until his fever broke. He was such a good boy ... To see him sniffing out potential paramours with such evident enjoyment - well, it's almost more than a mother can bear!!)

Then comes the courtship. Courtship? It's more akin to speed dating:


(Does anyone else feel that a lot of this date is wasted in skirmishing with his erstwhile best friend for the attention of the lady? why doesn't he just ask her if she'd like to dance?)

Finally things seem to be settled. He coaxes his chosen maiden into a quiet glade. The sun sifts golden droplets through the fresh greenness of the glistening leaves. In my head Frank Sinatra is crooning, "Strangers in the Night ..."

In real life, he's snarling, "I did it MYYYYYYYY way ..."




In eight seconds it's all over.


Two questions:

1. She waited ALL YEAR --- for THAT?!

2. Is this the model for all of those teeny-weeny eight-second rides at the Stampede rodeo?!! I had always wondered why they decided eight seconds was a good length of time. I think I'm beginning to clue in ...

I am left shaking my head. Will I ever understand the cycle of ranching?

The Good Rancher is shaking his head too. Will he ever understand the wingnut he has married?

I am ready to swear off trying to find the romance of this life.

But then two boys change my mind. The next generation of cowboys and vets is obviously being launched:

"This is my cowboy face ..."


Seriously, my little DVM-to-be:
That's where you wanted to check?!

I guess this one passes the test!




Maybe there is hope for the future after all!

Anyway, big boys, thanks for the memories. Rest up again until the next round ...



And let's hear it for the boys!



5 comments:

Mim Dartnall-Smith said...

Brilliant Karyn...but what made my reading even funnier was just as I got to the photos that included the 8 second 'finale' the phone I was reading your blog on received an email ... my email notification sound is a very loud "Moo" sound!!

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

The educational qualities of Facebook were never more evident! Many thanks for documenting what we can only hope will be the fine beginning of your next seasonal saga of life on the range.

Shirley Gillrie said...

Thanks for the morning laugh, dear Wingnut. I needed that! I suspect that you are acquiring skills that no city girl in her right mind would dream of learning. I grew up with that stuff!

Paige Jones said...

That's awesome Karyn! Riley's definitely a rancher!!

The Sidekick said...

Nightmares are dreams too ...!