Sunday, June 18, 2017

Who Will Sing To Me?

I didn't expect it to hit me so hard, this first fatherless Father's Day. In looking through old Father's day posts I found one that spoke the words my Dad wrote me on my 50th birthday.

About a time he sang to me.

Who will sing to me this year to comfort my sad heart and tell me that "the counsel is established, ratified in Heaven and on earth" and therefore all will be well?


********************************************************



On Father's Day, I want to share with you words my father wrote [in 2012]:


The morning began with laughter and chatter and then the little child ran off with Kirtan, the butler, to take Gumba and Nana [her grandparents] their morning tea. She led the way up the stairs to their room, Kirtan following with the tray loaded with cups and saucers, a pot of freshly brewed tea, a jug of scalding hot milk, a few small biscuits and some fresh fruit. This was their chota hawzri, little breakfast.

Near the top of the stairs she stumbled and fell backwards. Kirtan reached forward to stop her fall, and in the process the hot tea and boiling milk were spilt on her. 

A loud cry was heard.

Her mother and father ran upstairs and found her being held at arm's length by Gumba, her light night dress soaking wet. He did not know what to do. Her parents quickly removed her undergarments as they were sealing the heat to her skin.

Gumba and Nana were totally distraught that this should happen to their granddaughter and in their house. Kirtan was crushed as he felt that he was responsible.

The father carried her down to their room and laid her on the white sheets that the mother had just smoothed out for her. 

There she lay for a moment, in desperate shock and pain; then she said softly and yet so earnestly words that can never be forgotten: "Daddy, sing Jesus Loves Me." 

The father felt that his heart was being pulled out of his chest by invisible cords of longing and anguish. He then sang, the best he could, to this little girl who was in such great pain and shock:


Jesus loves me, this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong -
They are weak, but He is strong

She lay quietly on the bed.

Wonderfully, they had a large medicated bandage that was suitable for such a burn; and then off to the doctor. Many weeks transpired in the treatment of this injury, which was oft times painful, until it was finally healed. Of course, a scar remains.

Many years have transpired since then. Calendars have been hung on the wall and taken down, and a new one hangs in its place. There have been many mornings of laughter and chatter and running to show the way. There have been days with family and friends, tea, lots of tea. There have been books and music; there have been singing and travel; there have been the Bible and Church and prayer. 

There have been burdens lifted from shoulders and hearts bowed down with despair. There has been great joy in the gladness of another and there has been deep grief in the loss of those most dear to the heart. There have been lonely hours and silent nights. There has been unknown and often unexpressed shock and pain - not the pain of burning flesh but the tearing and twisting of a wounded spirit and a pummeled heart and mind. There have been times when the only adequate prayer that could be uttered from the depths of the soul was "Oh God ..."

But there is triumph! The clock does not stay forever at midnight. There is new purpose, new beginnings, fresh hope. There have been many times when this little girl, now a woman caring and strong, has needed to hear those words, Jesus loves me, this I know for the Bible tells me so ... but they were not heard; the singer was silent!

But echoing from the mountains of God and distilling like falling dew upon the waiting heart comes the sure and sweet refrain, Jesus loves me, this I know for the Bible tells me so.

The daggers of doubt may shoot their arrows; the shadow of betrayal may cast its net; the poison of falsity may fill its vial. These and the ravaging hordes that follow them can never silence or change the eternal truth, settled in the eternal decree before the world and stars were hung in space, and sealed on Calvary's hill as the precious blood of the Lamb of God was spilt, that Jesus loves me, this I know for the Bible tells me so.

For fifty years it has been true for this one, and praise is offered. The curtain lifts; there is silence; and then a new scene comes before us. Whatever it may hold, the counsel is established, ratified in Heaven and on earth, assured by divine omnipotence:

Jesus loves me, this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong -
They are weak, but He is strong

Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
The Bible tells me so

Allan T. Ironside
May 3, 2012


This was my father's love letter to me on my fiftieth birthday. You can glimpse the heart of this man, right from when I was an infant until this very day.

He is the person who has influenced me the most for good in my life.

No wonder Jesus Loves Me is my favourite song!

Thank you, Dad, for your great love - first for God, then for Mum, and then for your six children and now your grandchildren - which has proved to be the best teacher possible in communicating God's love for us.

                   ***********************************************************

Dad loved Johnny Cash; so here's the Man in Black singing the song:


27 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!!!!

JE Erickson Davies said...

Beautifully written Karyn....my Dad always sang that too��

The Sidekick said...

Your Dad was one in a million. I still miss his deep knowledge of the word, his love for "Mama", and his gentle humour. Much love, Jeanie.

Vihokhu Zhimo said...

Thinking of your parents and gratefully blessed for their impact on hundreds of leaders in India.

The Sidekick said...

Thank you so much. He loved his students like they were his children. He never stopped talking about and praying for you all.

Brenda Lee Raine Hartley said...

That's beautiful Karyn!!Thanks!

The Sidekick said...

My "Uncle Lloysh" was one of the great ones too. It's a consolation to think they are reunited ...

Robin Sullivan Overstreet said...

Praying for you! I know this is a hard day!

Jean Bennett said...

Hello Katyn, has your Dad now with your Mum? do let me know// Much love and prayers.

The Sidekick said...

Ahhh, Robin. A poignant day for you too, on several levels. Much love.

The Sidekick said...

Yes, dear Jean; he passed away on January 20.

Mary Cassidy said...

My heart is with u K xxoo

Tialiba Longkumer said...

Is he Dr Ironside and you......missing him a lot

The Sidekick said...

Yes it is.

And yes, he had a lot more "children" than just his six biological ones. His heart never left India ... thank you for loving him!

Patricia Holloway said...

Remembering my Dad singing that to me as well. God is good!

The Sidekick said...

What a gift it is to have good fathers; something not to be taken lightly ...

Donna Crites said...

Beautiful Karyn. May God comfort you in a special way this Father's Day.

The Sidekick said...

How both of them loved you, Donna! Thank you for always remembering their special days!

Kari Siddon Bott said...

I'm sorry for your loss, especially on this first Father's Day without him. While I didn't know your dad, I certainly had heard of him through the years. What a gifted and talented writer he was; among all the many other gifts bestowed upon him. Thank you for sharing this with us, and may you continue to feel the love of your Dad and Father on this special day.

The Sidekick said...

Dear Kari, I'm so touched by your comment. As an aside, two of the first people who made me feel welcome in this town were your parents. And now, whenever your own dear Dad hears me play the piano, he always tells me it reminds him of your Mom. He, too, is a gift!

Naomi Friesen said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful post! Lots of love to you today, dear Karyn.

The Sidekick said...

My beautiful friend. Thanks to you and John for caring for him - and for me!

Shirley Gillrie said...

Dearest Karyn - I fully expected a beautiful post from you this morning. I did not expect you to incorporate my own all-time favorite song. Those simple words that say all that needs to be said - and that beautiful melody that is one of the few songs that I can sit down and play from my heart without having the music in front of me. We sang Jesus Loves Me this morning in church. If it hadn't been on Ange's song list I would have played it anyway.

I remember being at Unit 1 in Didsbury not too long ago and singing that song. A little old lady kept on singing verse after verse - some of which I had never heard before - and so I kept on playing. Her voice was weak and melodic.

Thank you my beautiful Karyn ❤

The Sidekick said...

Thank you for his wonderful story, Shirley. I can't help but think that God arranged that little old lady to sing your favourite song as a reminder and an encouragement while you walked as far into that deep Valley wih your Dad as you could ...

Unknown said...

Your Dad was a great man of God. Well versed in Scriptures . I still remember him speaking to Graduates at SIBBC few years back when the lights went out as well the sound system. He did not miss a beat and kept on challenging the students with the Word of God.
His powerful voice and message brought many souls to the Lord. We will miss him but will keep the found memories of him of last 40 years.
Jess and Grace Enochs

Sumitra Gaikwad said...

That's so sweet memory.

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

"He will take me home on high." How sweet that longed-for day will be, and is already for Dad. xx