Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Mum and Me!

One of my great joys in this new life is seeing mums and babies from the animal kingdom together. I had wondered about posting a picture under the heading "Mum and Me!" every now and then.

I wasn't sure just when I was going to launch the segment, however - until today made it easy.


I was on the way to Red Deer and saw in a tree by the side of the road up ahead what looked like a nest and a shadow over it.

"Perhaps a bird," I mused, so I pulled over to the opposite side of the road. It was definitely a bird - an owl or a hawk, I wasn't sure. The glare of the white sky blurred my vision a little. Nevertheless, I rolled down my driver's window, tried to focus on the nest, and clicked five times.  I couldn't actually see what my camera was capturing, but at the third click the bird squawked quietly; the sound at the fifth click was akin to a shriek and was, I felt, directed at me, so I drove on ...

You can imagine my delight when I finally got to look at the pictures some time later!

Here in order are the five pictures:

Copyright 2017 Karyn C Ironside


Copyright 2017 Karyn C Ironside

Copyright 2017 Karyn C Ironside


Copyright 2017 Karyn C Ironside

Copyright 2017 Karyn C Ironside


Pretty obedient babies, wouldn't you say?! And a very vigilant mum ...





9 comments:

Mim Dartnall-Smith said...

Lovely photos Karyn. I love it when you get home and look at photos taken that you couldn't see properly at the time of snapping. Often you find you were blurred or missed the subject altogether...but just sometimes you realise you have captured a wonderful moment xx

Angie Ironside said...

Gorgeous! Xoxo

Carol Kurbis said...

Love this!

Andrew Kremer said...

Nice work KCI - It's the stopping instead of driving by

Bronwyn Spilsbury said...

Fantastic!! You wrote it so we can see the little ones duck down after picture #3, when their parent called, becoming barely visible for #4&5!! Obedience indeed!
I'm glad you caught all this!!

Carol Kurbis said...

Love this!

Hazel Raine said...

Wonderful pictures!

Lynette Epp said...

Very cool!

Rachel Shah said...

Gorgeous indeed!